Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Anti-HIV Pill



Let me tell you something. If this new Anti-HIV Pill is approved by the FDA... I don't know, I might have to go ahead and get a dose for myself! We still have a few more months to wait for a decision. I'm just wondering why a medication like this hasn't been approved way before now, even though I think we all know the answer to that question :-/

Truvada, a widely used medication used with other drugs in the treatment of AIDS, may be the first pill used to actually PREVENT transmission of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), which causes Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS). Truvada can potentially be prescribed to healthy patients, in order to prevent contracting or "catching" HIV, that is if it's approved for prophylaxsis of HIV.

Supposedly, Truvada will be used to protect individuals who are at high risk of contracting HIV, such as "partners of people who have HIV/AIDS and non-monogamous gay and bisexual men," if it is indeed approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). But why can't we all get a dose? Besides, the dating pool is a mess, and no one knows what the future holds.

All I'm saying is that no one is exempt from contracting HIV, except those who have never engaged in sexual activity, shared needles, been tattooed, received a blood transfusion... I think you get my point.

Oh, and no one is really sure that their own mother was HIV-free when they were born; besides, the virus can secretly exist in anyone's system for decades! That's so scary! But it's possible.



Well, thanks for stopping by! I hope you learned something today =)

No comments: